Ok, so John Wesley is a hero in my Christian life. Not just because of his dedication to holy living but also because he preached the Word of God until the day he died.
One thing about Wesley though is that he was EXTREMELY strict in his walk with God. It seems like he was never satisfied with how his faith walk was so he continued to push himself and be pushed by his peers to greater holiness.
This all started at home of course with his parents and siblings but it took off in college. During his years studying at Oxford University, John Wesley started what was known to be the Holy Club–a group of young men who would keep each other accountable on holy living and spiritual disciplines.
Wesley used what he learned through those years to bring accountability to the churches that he planted and to early Methodism.
Take a look at these questions below. Wesley asked them of himself daily and his accountability partners weekly. Yes, they are tough questions, but ones that would help anyone to take their Christian walk seriously as we grow into being men and women after God’s own heart:
- Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better
than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
- Do I confidentially pass on to others what has been said to me in
- Can I be trusted?
- Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?
- Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
- Did the Bible live in me today?
- Do I give the Bible time to speak to me every day?
- Am I enjoying prayer?
- When did I last speak to someone else of my faith?
- Do I pray about the money I spend?
- Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
- Do I disobey God in anything?
- Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
- Am I defeated in any part of my life?
- Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?
- How do I spend my spare time?
- Am I proud?
- Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?
- Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
- Do I grumble or complain constantly?
- Is Christ real to me?
“Encourage one another daily . . . so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.” — Hebrews 3:13